Author Topic: UNITS IN FEET  (Read 5115 times)

Jay

• View Profile
UNITS IN FEET
« on: 31 December 2020, 17:17:44 »
Hi

I am new to the group and perhaps this has been asked and answered before in the previous Yahoo group.

We in the USA have never fully joined the rest of the world in using metric.  We do however in amateur radio say "80 meters" and not "260 feet".  :)

Is there a way to modify the program to run and display in feet rather than meters?  Perhaps an add-on? With only constants involved 1m=3.2808399ft and 1ft=0.3048m it would seem to be a fairly simple modification.

I can use an online converter, it is an annoyance to have to do so for every dimension.

Thanks and 73

ve3sqb

• View Profile
Re: UNITS IN FEET
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2021, 20:30:17 »
Hello Jay   I have a dozen programs for designing antennas. They all have an option for metric or imperial measurements. I noticed this problem many years ago where the world is metric BUT the USA does have a very large number of amateurs.    Al    ve3sqb.com

Igor Gontcharenko

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2021, 09:04:54 »
The special constants can be use in the wire table:
I  – 1 inch
F  –  foot

Example:
    30*F    = 30 feet
    15*I    = 15 inches

It is too problematic to use Feet-Imper system in the all windows. Because when you open not your own *maa  file (for example, from the /ANT folder)  and switch Metric - Feet Imper (or vice versa) units, you will get a long non-rounded values.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2021, 09:19:17 by Igor Gontcharenko »

Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2021, 03:32:21 »
THANKS Igor
That is time saving!
When I get the wire lengths, etc. in the VIEW data then I seem to have to use a converter or calculator to get into Feet but your information was VERY useful.

W2TJF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2022, 23:38:42 »
THANKS Igor
That is time saving!
When I get the wire lengths, etc. in the VIEW data then I seem to have to use a converter or calculator to get into Feet but your information was VERY useful.
YES! Time saving for sure! - And you might want to put this in the 'Getting Started' section in the Manual and in the Features.